Sunday, July 22, 2012

Bread and Buuz (Pronounced Bows)

One p-day the sisters wanted to learn how to make bread, so we decided to do that.  Also, Naadam was close and Mongolians always eat Buuz for Naadam, so Sister Oktober said she would teach us how to make them.  The bread turned out pretty well and the buuz turned out wonderful.


  There doesn't seem to be such a thing a hamburger in Murun, but the Mongolians cut up the meat so fine it is almost like hamburger.  She added onions, water and salt to the meat.  Then we made the flour and water shell to put around the meat.  There is really a skill involved, and I didn't get it very well.  But Sister Oktober could make them lickety split and they looked really nice.







I felt like I was all thumbs trying to put them together.   Alan even tried.  While we weren't very successful, it didn't change the flavor, and they were very good.  Those who had eaten before said they were better than any you can buy at the store.

You can tell the ones Sister Oktober did and the ones the other missionaries did.  But, like I said, they were so very good!  They are steamed in this pan for about 20 minutes and that cooks the meat through.  At least, we assume it did because we didn't get sick from it.  We have been told that meat needs to be cooked for several hours.

No comments: