Saturday, October 27, 2012

Happy 60th Birthday!

For my birthday, Alan took Puje and I out to lunch at this little place across the street from our apartment.  We had not eaten there before, but thought it would be fun to give it a try.  This is called goulash, but is not what I thought goulash was.  There are two scoops of rice on each side of CHICKEN!  Yes, actually we had chicken.  I probably wouldn't have it again because it wasn't all that great, but it was CHICKEN.  Then there was a pasta salad, a few pieces of cold potato, a spoonful of carrot salad and a little larger spoon full of cabbage salad.  And then there was actually some fresh cucumber and a slice of tomato.  The side dish is steamed bread called Monto (I think) and it is pretty good! Alan commented that the price of the meal was less than a hamburger, shake and fries at McDonald's!
 The cups contained hot water!  That is one of the main beverages here, even in the summer when it is hot.  I don't know if it's just tradition or if it is to make sure the water is good to drink.  I'm amazed at how much I enjoy drinking hot water now!  Especially on cold nights!
Then we went home and about 5 Puje called and said the President wanted to talk to us at the church around 6.  This was not unusual, because he asks us to come visit with him on a pretty regular basis.  So we went over to the church about 6 and this is what I saw:
With Puje's help, the branch president had planned a surprise birthday party for me and for Tuvshinbat, his son, whose birthday was the same day!  I was pretty surprised.  There were quite a few branch members there and I was very appreciative that they would consider doing such a thing!
Odontuya was the artist and designer of the white board announcing our birthday and our ages!  I'm 3 times as old as Tuvshinbat!  We kidded each other a little bit about that!  But 60 doesn't feel nearly as old as I thought it would!
 Several of the branch members gave me birthday gifts.  This one is from Bayanjargal and President Batmonkh and is a replica of a ger!  I love it!  I have seen those in stores but had not bought one.  She had made this one and it has a cute little door with a stove pipe coming out the top.  When the door is open, a stove, bed and other furniture can be seen.  It is really a great symbol of Mongolian lifestyle!
 This is Oyanpurev, the Primary President.  She gave me a calendar with a Mongolian ger that slides along the leather piece which is marked with the days of the month!  The face of Chinggis Khaan is pressed into the leather and there is an ankle bone that holds it all together.  Such a neat gift and also very Mongolian!
This is Ornchimeg, one of the first members in the branch we met when we first got here. She is a fiesty little lady and teaches the temple prep class. She crocheted a little basket with crocheted flowers in it!  She gave me a plant on that first visit and I can happily report I haven't killed it yet!
 This is Tuvshinbat.  We really enjoyed the birthday cake. He does look about 40 years younger than me!
It was sort of a pot-luck affair and different people brought different food items.  This picture shows the heram (sp) in the bowls.  Heram is hot water mixed with varying amounts of hot milk.  It is really very good! This is what Mormons drink here instead of tea or coffee.  The bowl is used as a glass and we drink right out of the bowl! I am drinking out of a mug that was gifted to us.  It is very symbolic.  Anything that opens toward the sky is considered a good luck omen.  It was also gold colored which is a wish for all good things.
 These are a couple of my favorite people!  Bayanjargal (Branch President's wife) and Oyandalai (2nd Counselor's wife).  They are both so kind to us and greet me with a hug (for Alan, it's just a handshake!)
While eating, the members put on a talent show of sorts and most either sang a traditional Mongolian song or recited poetry.  Mongolians love to sing and, though the songs sound sort of mournful, they really are mostly about home, family and mothers and are really rather joyful songs.
Then Puje had the idea to teach them the round dance we taught the YM/YW and the YSAs and will be teaching at the Halloween Party.  So we started to teach them, and one of the Elders got the speaker system out of the Branch President's office and started playing Mongolian music.  So, they decided we needed to learn a Mongolian dance.  Here I am being instructed by Oyanpurev.  She was a pretty good teacher.  One other sister really helped me learn it too.  She was a very good dance leader.  Not sure I have it totally down, but I'm sure I'll learn it better at the Halloween Party.
Then the Elder put on some more modern music and I was surprised at how well some of the members could "shake their booty!"  It got pretty crazy there for awhile!  But everyone had a great time and it was fun to spend this day with my wonder friends and fellow church members!  
I did talk to each of the kids for my birthday, and they are all doing fine.  Alison said something about looking forward to celebrating my 62 birthday together!  I have one more to go while in Mongolia.  But, if I can't be with my family and other loved ones, I'm sure glad I could spend this birthday here in this special place with these wonder people who we have grown to love!

No comments: