Monday, October 22, 2012

Hair-Cutting - 2

I decided I better put these two events in separate blogs.  This one was for the branch member's son, Monuley.  He was not quite so excited about having people cut his hair.  But after a little coxing, he was a bit  more cooperative.  This one was held in the family's ger
.
The father is a nonmember and the mother is a returned missionary.
They wanted their son in his deel and hat for the picture.
 This little guy is a little hellion in church, he is so full of enthusiasm.  But he really is a cute little guy!


 Again, after cutting the hair we gave the family money.  This party was for the church members.  The family party had been held the day before.  So it was the missionaries, the branch president and a few other members who were at this celebration.(My hair was so dirty that day!  I had planned to shower and wash it that morning, but when we got up, waalaa!  no water and no power!)

The traditional food appears to be a sheep's head, but it wasn't served while we were there.  There may have been yet another party for a different group of people, who knows!!
 The branch president just cut a slab of meat off the body of the sheep and that is what was put into the soup and was also eaten as cold cuts.  I'm not sure how long the meat had been sitting out from the previous party, but it tasted pretty good and we all stayed healthy!

We were also served a fruit salad with a mayonaise dressing on it which was very good. And, of course, the traditional, yummy potato salad.  The vodka bottle must have been for the family of the father because it was never opened or offered while we were there!
 This item was at both parties and also at the wedding reception we went to. There is hard biscuit like things on the bottom, always in an odd number of layers, because it represents good and bad, starting with good, so they always want the top layer to be good!  Cubed sugar, soft cheese, dried cheese and little white candies were added.  I'm thinking this represents the "white" item at this celebration.  Again, notice the vodka bottle is not opened for this church party!

This picture of the little guy was taken at my birthday party after he had his head shaved!  I didn't even recognize him!  Not sure why they kept the braid, but it sure was cute.


 And he sure loved my birthday cake!  It was pretty good.  I had always wondered how those cakes tasted when I would see them in the bakery.  Now I know!  And I can understand why he is so ready to have another bite!

No comments: