The branch celebrated the Relief Society birthday by having a sister in the branch who makes traditional Mongolian clothes and head gear bring some things for the sisters to try on. It was really fun and there were some pretty amazing hats. And everyone had to try them on. This is me and the oldest sister living in the branch. We visited them for Tsagaan Sar. She is really a sweet lady!
Somehow these Mongolian hats just don't look quite right on me!
I was quite surprised that the Mongolian Deel fit me. It had long sleeves and was fine through the body. It was a little shorter on me than on most Mongolians though! It was really a beautiful deel!
This is Azbayar (one of our RMs) and her daughter Nomina! This is Munkhtsetseg--another beautiful
They both have such cute dimples. Choibalsan Returned Missionary!
I know these are not all sisters, but these two youth in the branch are such characters--they really wanted to try on the hats and then have their picture taken. In the picture are Munkhtuya, BolorErdene, me, Azjargal, and in front, Erdenemunkh (BolorErdene's son). They actually look better in the hats than I do!
Two of my favorite sisters in the branch--Munkhtuya and Suuvda (the Branch President's wife). Truly amazing women and true sisters in the gospel.
Gerelchimeg--a member of the RS Presidency. She's an amazing woman! She was so helpful to us when we did the RM reunion--spent all day in the kitchen cooking and all evening in the kitchen cleaning up . We finally got her to come join the festivities.
A dinner was served and we had salad first. The salads were put on various plates along a long table and then sisters were given forks and spoons and stood around the table eating from the plates! I didn't get an eating utensil so wasn't in the crowd around the food, but someone brought me a plate with my own salad and a fork. I hope it wasn't that obvious that I was less than thrilled with their serving style!.
And we had HAMBURGERS! Everybody here loves these pre-made, pre-packaged, heat in the microwave or eat cold hamburgers. They actually tasted pretty good. They were running low so Alan and I split one and it was still plenty of food.
And, of course, we had birthday cake. These cakes look really rich and dreamy, but they really aren't that sweet and are more like a sponge cake! They were OK!
After eating we took pictures. I sort of stand out in this crowd, and, well, almost every crowd here!
These are the grandmothers of the branch. I fit right in with them, agewise anyways.
I love their beautiful deels!
These are some younger sisters in the branch. Top row is Odna, Oyuntuya (our translator), Ohwantuya, ??? , Tumee and me. Great group of kids!
We had a pretty good turnout!
And they played this card game where the cards had to be passed from person to person not using hands. It was pretty fun to watch and they had a great time!
It was a very fun night spent with wonderful Mongolian sisters in the gospel!
No comments:
Post a Comment