Saturday, December 15, 2012

Combined American/Mongolian Thanksgiving/Black Friday

For those of you who don't know, this blog is our scrapbook for our mission.  So some of the things I am posting may not be of particular interest to you, and that's ok.  Just skip over these posts.  But we don't want to forget some of these events that are important to us. Some of the posts have also been posted on Facebook and so may be redundant.   That said.....here we go.
We had a great pot luck Thanksgiving dinner with many of the branch members.  We had anything but a traditional meal, but it was oh so good.  I made chicken noodle gravy (not as good as Mom's, but I tried), mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese (thanks to Ali for sending the powdered cheese) which they didn't really like as much as I would have thought, jello, canned ham with pineapple and bread.  For dessert I made apple crisp with chunky applesauce and I tried to get everyone to try it and wasn't very successful.  We then had to go into the BPs office for a skype interview with President Clark, and when I came out the apple crisp was all gone!  Guess they just needed to try it!  I also made a pumpkin bar from carrots.  I remembered Gloria had done that a few years back, found a recipe on the internet and made.  It actually turned out pretty good!  The Mongolians were not so sure about that either, but once they tried it, it was all eaten as well.  I think the combination of spices was a bit unusual for them!  Anyway, we had a great time!


This is Urnchimeg.  She came on Wednesday for the dinner and brought her food and insisted we eat with her.  I was at the church for a piano lesson, but we stopped and ate with her.  She came back the next for the real party.  Her buuz in the upper right hand picture is done as a Tree of Life.  That story means a lot to these members!  This the second food creation we have had depicting that scripture.

This is Elder Bataa.  He is making an original creation of a fruit salad.  He carved out the core of the apple, filled it with canned strawberries and then topped it with a kiwi!  It was pretty good and we got our fruit for the day!

This only shows part of the food that was brought and shows a huushor, beet salad and meat balls made by Puje, buuz, pasta salad, rice, chicken noodles and mashed potatoes and ham and pineapple.  There was also jello, mac and cheese, potato salad, sushi and bread.  It was quite a feast!
The party was to start at 4 and at that time there were about 12 of us there including 5 missionaries!  I thought, OK, this is not going to go too well.  By 5 we probably had about 20 and by 6:00 we think we had about 30 people there.  By the end of the evening, we think about 40 people dropped by.  About as many as we get to church on some Sundays!
This was the buffet table.  I think this little guy had two or three servings of everything which was just fine.  We had plenty of food!
Afterward we played games, Skipbo and Bingo, until about 8:30.  People just didn't seem to want to go home.  I would say it was a successful activity!
On Black Friday in America we went shopping at the Zax.  It wasn't nearly as crazy as I imagine it was in the US.  But it sure was colder than most places would have been and we were outside!  Anyway, Puje and I found me some brown insulated tights.  I have been looking for some of those since it turned cold!  They are warm, but when I got them home and put them on, there were runs in both legs!  Cheap Chinese products, as the Mongolians would say!  Good thing my skirts are long so the runs don't show!

Alan needed just a few screws to make some repairs on the curtain rods and the cabinets at the church.  So we went to Home Depot row, as we affectionately call the hardware section of the Zax.  It is so amazing that you can buy just one or 100 of the items for sale.  He found what he needed.
 While at the Zax we ran into one of the branch members, Yanjma!  We are going to her house for dinner tomorrow night.  Anyway, we were visiting with her by this vendor stand and Puje told us the brown objects in the left corner are the frozen innards of a sheep--yes, all of it.  They were as hard as a rock.  We had some buuz with this in it at a members house and I couldn't eat more than a bite.  I really think it's all psychological--if we didn't know what it was, we would probably be just fine!

No comments: